A lot of this conversation has to do with getting ripped. Chris Schelzi knows a bit about fitness.
I met Chris in early 2015. He was working at BlackRock, Inc. at the time. The startup I was working on at the time poached him. I guess he liked the team…
Chris helped that startup raise more than a quarter of a million dollars in a crowdfunding campaign.
Now, he’s working at AppSumo, bringing you great deals on cool tools for your company.
In our conversation, Chris and I dive deep into:
- Diet and Exercise
- Ideas for the next great health tech startup
- How AppSumo is empowering entrepreneurs
Please enjoy this episode of Hacker Practice with my good friend Chris Schelzi.
[02:00] French Press vs Chemex
- French Press = Full immersion, full body
- Chemex filters do a lot of heavy lifting
[06:00] Justus’s favorite cup of coffee
- French Press + Heavy Cream @ 4 AM
- Tchaikovsky’s 4th Symphony
- How books can be an indulgence
- Owning books vs going to the library
- Aristotle’s Golden Mean
- Plutarch’s How to Profit by One’s Enemies
- Histories by Herodotus
- The Autobiography of Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley
- “The non-fiction, black Catcher in the Rye”
Recidivism – noun the tendency of a convicted criminal to reoffend.
[16:00] Coffee as a vice. How to best enjoy vices in general.
[17:30] Why you shouldn’t be afraid to return things to the store
[18:30] Zen Roaster. Roasting your own coffee. Moving meditation. Coffee rituals. Chris built himself a side-table.
- Designing and building things by hand is zen af.
[23:30] We talk about axes and camping for a bit
[26:30] Our mutual interest in health and physiology
- Diet – How to get shredded like Chris?
- Low carb, high fat.
- Exercise recommendations?
Frozen Fatty Coffee Drink
[39:00] How to teach anti-science people a better way.
“Show them a cleaner glass of water”.
Bulletproof Coffee gets mentioned about a hundred times.
Diet scheduling. Fasting from protein can improve protein utilization. Lift heavy things and sprint. Keep it simple.
“Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants” – Michael Pollan’s Food Rules
[46:00] Isometrics workouts to build strength without putting stress on joints. On grass or in the pool. “Jack your heart rate up”.
[49:00] Chris’s $10,000 offer for a health technology product for monitoring various biological markers
- The state of health monitoring is abysmal for the average or even extraordinary consumer
- Idea – Implant that continually measures important biomarkers. Measure in real time.
- Dutch testing for cortisol and other hormones
- This idea could change the way we interact with dieting and health in general
- What would a version one of this tech look like? Measuring the following:
- Sex Hormones
- Stress Hormones
- Fat Soluble Vitamins (A, E, D, K)
- Glucose and Ketones
[1:02:30] What is Chris working on now?
- AppSumo – Groupon for Geeks
- DesignBold – Design made easy
- SerpStat – All in one SEO tooling
- The cult of the “Sumo-ling”
[1:05:30] What kind of company works with AppSumo
- GREAT tools for small businesses
- Validated by some users
- Startups that have Product Market Fit and are looking to scale to the next level
[1:10:00] Chris’s role at AppSumo
- Operations and Marketing
- Focusing on retention in 2017
[1:13:00] Final requests
- Build that health monitoring
- @chrisschelzi on instagram
- Read The Righteous Mind by Johnathan Haidt and Everything by Robert Greene
- Landmark Series of Herodotus
This conversation could have easily been three times as long. I’ll certainly have Chris on the show again.
If you enjoyed today’s episode please subscribe to the show and leave a review on iTunes.